Super Bowl XLVIII is a matchup between two NFL greats…Teams, Quarterbacks, Coaches for the Denver Bruncos and the Seattle Seahawks are all winners to make it to the Super Bowl!
The Super Bowl Party on Feb. 2nd at the 19th Hole at Brunswick Plantation and Golf Resort is one of many around the country! Football is such a popular sport in America…And beyond!
The Broncos with Quarterback Peyton Manning vs. the Seattle Seahawks with Quarterback Russell Wilson at the helm promises to be a very exciting Super Bowl! The teams appear different in strength and style. The Bronco Offense and the Seattle Defense are heralded as the focus of each team’s chance to win the Super Bowl!
The playing style and ages of the quarterbacks also contribute to the team differences. Let’s look at the quarterbacks Peyton Manning for the Broncos and Russell Wilson for the Seahawks.
Experience & Style of Broncos and Seahawks Quarterbacks:
Age 37, 2nd oldest QB to start a Super Bowl ***Oldest was John Elway at age 38 when he led Denver to victory over Atlanta in 1999 Super Bowl***
Height: 6 feet 5 inches & (230lbs.)
Dropback Quarterback with Throwing record of 55 touchdown passes in 2013.
Renaissance comeback after missing 2011 season due to a series of surgical procedures for neck.
Peyton Manning has stated his goal upon return to football after surgeries, “I’d like to be the player that everybody thinks they are used to seeing.”
NFL Career of 17 years …15 years with Indianapolis Colts & 2 Year with Denver Bronos
Peyton Manning is considered the best regular- season quarterback in NFL history…Record for most touchdowns (55) in a season and most yards run (5,477)
Manning will be expected to carry the freight for Broncos, after setting an NFL record for passing yards this 2013 season with 5,477 yards.
Standout career at Tennessee & # 1 pick for NFL 1998 Draft
Peyton was the quarterback who led the Indianapolis Colts to victory over Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI. Manning was also the game’s named MVP!
Manning also led the Colts to Super Bowl XLIV…which was won be the New Orleans Saints.
Should the Broncos win Super Bowl XLVIII, he would be the first quarterback to win Super Bowls for two different teams.
Age 25…6th youngest quarterback to start a Super Bowl ***Youngest since 23 year old Ben Roethlisberger led the Steelers to win over the Seahawks in 2006 Super Bowl***
Height 5 feet 11 inches
New Guard of Mobile QB…As dangerous with his feet as with his arm.
Played college football & baseball for North Carolina State University before transferring to Wisconsin where he was promised he could play football & baseball. (In 2008, he was named ACC Rookie of the Year in football and became the first freshman quarterback to receive first team All-ACC honors.)
Played minor league baseball for the Tri-City Dust Devils in 2010 & the Asheville Tourists in 2011 as a second baseman.
NFL Career of 2 Years with Seattle Seahawks. He signed a contract with the Seahawks on May 7, 2012 & was named the team’s starting quarterback on August 26, 2012.
In 2012 Russell Wilson led the Seahawks to the divisional round of the NFL playoffs & was voted the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year.
52 Career touchdown passes…2nd most for any QB in the first two years of career. ( Does not match total of Manning’s touchdown record of 55 for 2013.)
Perception going into Super Bowl: Wilson, similarly to Roethlisberger, needs to rely on team’s defense, running game, & Big Plays!
Russell says he wants to be like Peyton Manning one day in terms if things he’s done and how he’s gone about business. Wilson counts it a tremendous honor to go against a guy that’s going to be a Hall of Famer and one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game. Russell says, “At the same time, its not me versus him. It is the Denver Broncos VS the Seattle Seahawks.”
Family…Fathers Influence for Both Quarterbacks
- 1 of 3 sons of of longtime NFL Quarterback for University of Mississippi & NFL New Orleans Saints, Archie Manning.
- Brother , Cooper, had to leave football career due to spinal condition. Brother Eli is NFL QB.
- Brother Eli is NFL Quarterback and won 2 Super Bowl Championships.
- Archie Manning was raised to be humble and passed that along to his children. Archie has said: “In the era that I played, all those years with the Saints, you don’t come out wit a big ego.”
- SEC storied documentary “The Book Manning” on ESPN was first turned down by Archie but done at the request of his wife, Olivia, so that their grandchildren could see your history.
- Humility, hard work, family, and love of football were passed on to the Manning children.
- Though his sons followed in their father’s footsteps & signed to play in the SEC, Archie Manning states, “We tried to raise kids, Not NFL quarterbacks.” However, Archie and Olivia managed to do both….Very Well!
- Peyton and his wife, Ashley, are the proud parents of twins born on March 21, 2011. They named the boy Marshall and the girl is Mosley.
- PeyBack Foundation was established by Peyton Manning to provide leadership and growth opportunities for children at risk. It helps disadvantaged children in Louisiana, Tennessee, and Indiana. Learn More @ www.peytonmanning.com
- In honor of Peyton’s charity work, the Indianapolis St. Vincent Hospital renamed children’s hospital…The Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent. Peyton is active in the Red Cross Celebrity Cabinet.
- Russell Wilson’s father, Harrison Wilson III was born in Jackson, Mississippi and negotiated the education systems to gain a degree from Dartmouth, where he excelled at wideout. He then moved on to the University of Virginia Law School where he met his wife, Tammy.
- Russell’s father , Harrison, blazed his own trail. A collegiate education…An African American on a 90% white campus, he became known for his polish and athletic exploits. He was quarterback for three State title winners. He also became a well-respected lawyer in his community. Tammy , Russell’s mother, was a legal nurse consultant and raised her son in Faith and good works.
- Harrison Wilson, debilitated by diabetes & a stroke , dies in June 2010…the day after his son Russell was drafted by the Colorado Rockies.
- Russell Wilson’s father left him Lessons for Life and a legacy. He told his son to “Always have a great purpose in life!”Harry is credited with instilling in his son the kind of leadership qualities that allow individuals to soar to heights no one thought possible.
- Russell became a devout Christian at age 14 when he says he saw Jesus in a dream. He is an active volunteer in the Seattle community and is a national ambassador for the Charles Ray III Diabetes Association.
- Russell also combined academics with athletics and social life…A lesson learned form his father. Russell was class president while at Collegiate.
- Harry and Russell discussed often the value of academics, the role of athletics, and the need to maximize your skills in both.
- Harrison (Harry) taught his son how to play the game as well as how to respect it. Russell is known for his consistency…Another Lesson from his father.
- Harry would say to Russell…”Why not you, Russ?” This message was shared by Russell with his teammates about the Super Bowl with asking them…”Why not us?”
- Russell says his 15 year old sister, Anna, is the best athlete in the family! She is a sophomore at a private school in VA. and starred as an 8th grade and freshman… leading her AAU basketball team to the Nat’l championships. Anna is considered a Top prospect in the Class of 2016.
- Russell Investments will donate $2.000 to Wilson’s charitable foundation for each touchdown – running or passing- scored by Wilson this season. Wilson’s foundation supports youth activities for communities in need.
- During the NFL season, Russell makes weekly visits on his days off to the Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Russel married his long-time girlfriend, Ashton Meem, on January 14, 2012.
XLVII Super Bowl Coaches:
- John Fox becomes 6th coach to take 2 different teams to the Super Bowl….Carolina Panthers went to the Super Bowl with Fox ten years ago in Super Bowl XXXVIII but lost to the New England Patriots …Close score of Patriots 32 – Panthers 29.
- Coach Fox was with the Carolina Panthers for 9 seasons.
- Fox came to the Denver Broncos 3 years ago.
- John Fox is a seasoned coach whose energy & overall persona makes him a great guy to have in the locker room, says Broncos’ guard Zane Beadles.
- They say you can hear him down the hallway and his enthusiasm has an obvious “Trickle – Down Effect”!
- John had to be out for aortic heart valve replacement surgery that forced him to be away from the team for weeks.
- Defense coordinator, Jack Del Rio had the added responsibility of keeping the team together as Head Coach during that time.
- Fox was out nearly a month , went to his home in Charlotte, NC, to recuperate but he truthfully, never stopped working!
- Fox credits Del Rio and other with doing a great job for the team. ” It’s just we’ve got a good staff, ” Fox said. “These aren’t one-man shows, no matter how people project it. There are a lot of good people in the building. They stepped up and did a good job – players, coaches, everybody in the building!”
- The Broncos are proud of and have great respect for Coach Fox!
- Pete Carroll is known for his positive, profound approach to coaching!
- His Style: Great Effort, Great Enthusiasm, Great toughness, Play Smart!
- Beliefs: It’s all about the ball…Everything counts…respect everyone!
- Philosophy: Do things better than they have ever been done before.
- Carroll is called a “New Age” coach that rarely yells, has players meditate, and tells the team to get some sleep. He has the team imagine themselves is the big moment and see themselves making the big play.
- Players say Carroll is relentlessly positive has constant energy.
- He is tough but with a cheerful, enthusiastic, and encouraging style.
- Pete Carroll coached the New York Jets for 1 year.
- Carroll coached the New England Patriots for 3 years, and had a winning record.
- Carroll left the NFL , and went to coach at the University of Southern California where he built a powerhouse team that always had stars…Three of his players winning Heisman Trophies.
- Pete Carroll took over Seattle Seahawks team in 2010.
- Carroll’s book “Win Forever” expresses how his early coaching challenges brought forth his truths.
Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium
MetLife is first stadium in the world to meet the rigorous environmental standards of the Green Restaurant Association. With over 200 on-site restaurants servicing up to 100,000 people in a day, this is the largest food service operation ever to receive this certification.
Super Bowl XLVIII also brings important charity to the New Jersey / New York area. Throughout the weeks preceding the game, more than 35 charitable activities & community events will enliven and enrich the community and provide lasting legacies!
SUPER Super Bowl Halftime Show
Bruno Mars has invited the Red Hot Chili Peppers to join him during the Pepsi Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime show on Fox in MetLife Stadium!
Billboard’s 2013 Artist of the Year, Bruno Mars is a critically acclaimed singer, songwriter, producer, and musician. The 18-time Grammy Award nominee and Grammy winner has sold over 130 million singles Worldwide!
“Prepare to be Entertained” during XLVIII Super Bowl Halftime!
XLVIII promises to be a Super Bowl to Remember! Folks at Brunswick Plantation and Golf Resort are looking forward to a Fabulous NFL Football Matchup with the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks for the Lombardi Trophy!…Game On!!!
Did you enjoy this article?
Get Free Updates