Here at Brunswick Plantation and Golf Resort our Commercial Construction Division has been a proud Energy Star partner since 2010. We strive to help people save energy at home.
If you are considering purchasing a new home, an Energy Star certified home is the best choice for your family, the environment, and your wallet. If you are interested in saving energy on the home you living in now….read on.
FACT: the average American household spends approximately $2,200 yearly for electricity & other fuels for the home.
FACT: Owning and operating Energy Star certified appliances can save you money on energy bills while reducing environmental impact.
With appliances as other Energy Star products and designs it is as simple as saving energy equals saving money.
- Appliances that are Energy Star qualified have advanced tech the consume 10-50% less energy than other products. Make sure to find the Energy Star label on the appliance, its package, or the EnergyGuide label
- See what Energy Star qualified products are available.
- In addition, be sure to check out the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) purchasing guidance for major home appliances .
- If at all possible use cold water when washing laundry. Also, wash full loads or cut back the amount of water for partial loads to conserve water.
- FACT: heating water consumes 90 percent of the energy a machine uses. The other 10 percent is used by the motor.
- Most people find they can use cold water only for laundry. This can depend somewhat on your water quality or hardness and using cold water detergents.
- Washing with cold water alone can save you about $40 a year and about $30 a year with electric and gas water heaters. Not a ton of money but where’s the value in spending more?
- FACT: Washing full loads can reduce your yearly water use by 3400 gallons. Now that’s Green Living without a loss in quality of life.
- Over drying your clothes is a waste of energy and money…don’t do it. Many new models have moisture sensors. Look for one with this feature and use it.
- Clean out your lent trap or filter EVERY time. This is an easy way to improve efficiency (think efficiency equals less money). In addition, this is a safety measure to reduce lent build up in your duct work that can reduce efficiency and be a fire hazard.
- As practical dry similar fabric types together. This will keep from over drying of some while others dry….saving money.
- FACT: rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher is wasting water. If you’re rising with hot water it’s wasting energy and money too. Today’s Energy Star dishwashers and detergents are made to cleaning dishes without rinsing them.
- If you’ve left your dirty dishes out over night then use the dishwasher rinse mode. It will consume a fraction of the water compared to hand rinsing.
- Run full loads of dishes. The dishwasher will use about the same amount of electricity whether half full or completely full.
- ALWAYS select the un-heated dry mode. Heated drying is an energy hog and not needed.
- Reheating or cooking something small? Use the microwave.
- Microwave cooking can cut energy consumption 80 percent as compared to the oven or range. In addition, there is less heat produced and thus your AC demand won’t be affected in summer.
- Select the burner that matches the size of your pot or pan to save up to 40% of heat generated. In addition, cover the pots and pans when practical to shorten cook times.
- FACT: right sized pots/pans vs burners can net your about $36 a year for electric and $18 for gas units. Bonus: covering pots and pans keeps the kitchen cooler.
- Gas Range Owners: to keep the unit operating at max efficiency you should keep burners clean. Look for Blue flames…yellow indicate low efficiency and a servic
- Have a gas range? Keep the burners clean to ensure maximum efficiency. Blue flames mean good combustion; yellow flames mean service may be needed to ensure the gas is burning efficiently.
- Set your temp from 35 to 38 degrees F.
- Locate your refrigerator away from sources of heat like sunlight from windows, next to ovens or dishwashers.
- Air needs to be able to circulate and vent the back of the refrigerator.
- Have an older model? Check the owners manual on how and when to clean the condenser coils.
- Check the door seals to make sure they are tight. Replace them if necessary.
- And of course don’t leave the door(s) open unnecessarily.
Interested in learning more about how to save energy at home or our Energy Star homes? CONTACT US NOW. Have questions, comments, or suggestions? Post to comments.